Windows: you will download and install a program (.exe). It will occasionally check for revisions, updates and authenticate/verify the download.
TABLETS: these are intended to be used on PC's, laptops, etc. Depending on make, model & age your tablet might not have a fully capable OS or program. If you are only lacking Excel then use the Free Excel Viewer available at Demos & Free (top of page).
Apple: we have thousands of Apple users - but you will want to choose a strategy:
1. Many people already have a Windows emulator that lets them use Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.
2. There are spreadsheet utility programs: Many prefer Parallels, some use Apache.
3. Apple offers Apple Office 11. It is fully functional out of the box.
4. Some MAC users partition their hard drive and put a Windows OS in it, and then they can use the Free Excel Viewer available at Demos & Free (top of page).
5. iPad's iOS is limited, as is iTunes. So, use OnLive Desktop to upload it to your iPad. This allows for directly opening and using it through OnLive Desktop. It is like a Dropbox sync. It may require an Internet connection to use. A pilot reported: "I use my iPad almost exclusively and it works great."
Onlive Desktop Instructions:
A) Upload the file to your Onlive account.
B) Use your iPad Onlive app to access your account and open the uploaded file.